End Homelessness Winnipeg staff and Government of Canada representatives came together with community members to celebrate End Homelessness Winnipeg’s transition to the role of Community Entity and the launch of Reaching Home: Canada’s Homelessness Strategy.
The celebration and feast took place at Wahbung Abinoonjiiag, 225 Dufferin Avenue in Winnipeg. Speakers included:
- Dan Vandal, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Indigenous Services
- Robert-Falcon Ouellette, Member of Parliament, Winnipeg Centre
- Lucille Bruce, CEO, End Homelessness Winnipeg
- Jason Whitford, Co-chair, End Homelessness Winnipeg
- Dana Riccio Arabe, Wahbung Abinoonjiiag
Since April 1, 2019, End Homelessness Winnipeg serves as interim Community Entity for the Government of Canada’s Reaching Home homelessness strategy. Reaching Home provides federal funding to designated communities across Canada to support efforts to address homelessness. As the Community Entity for 2019-2020, End Homelessness Winnipeg would administer more than $9 million in Reaching Home funds to support work towards ending homelessness and increase housing security for vulnerable families and individuals.