End Homelessness Winnipeg initiated an Extreme Weather Response Committee in 2016, to coordinate homeless-centred strategies for keeping Winnipeggers safer during hazardous weather conditions. The Committee included representatives from emergency shelters, outreach services, drop-ins, municipal and provincial departments, and Environment and Climate Change Canada. In 2022, the Extreme Weather Response Committee merged with the COVID-19 Response for Winnipeg’s homeless-serving sectors, to form a Homelessness Emergency Response Committee that plans for and addresses emergent issues related to extreme weather, climate change, public health crises, and service disruptions such as building failures, construction and moves, among providers of essential homelessness services including mobile outreach, drop-ins, shelters and safe spaces.
Download the 2022 Homelessness Emergency Response Plan here.
- 2023 Spring/Summer Resource Guide (.pdf)
- 2023 Fall/Winter Resource Guide (.pdf)
- 2022 Summer Resource Guide (.pdf)
- 2022 Plain Language Summer Safety Tip Sheet (.pdf)
- Graphic – signs and responses for heat exhaustion and heat stroke (.jpg)
- Poster – signs and responses for frostbite and hypothermia (.pdf)
Past Extreme Weather Response Plans
- 2021-2022 Extreme Weather Response Plan (.pdf)
- 2020-2021 Winter Weather Response Plan (.pdf)
- 2020 Extreme Heat Response Plan (.pdf)
- 2019-2020 Extreme Cold Weather Response Plan (.pdf)
- 2019 Extreme Heat Response Plan (.pdf)
- 2018-2019 Extreme Cold Weather Response Plan (.pdf)
- 2017-2018 Cold Weather Response Plan (.pdf)