Job Opportunity: Community Researcher – Street Health Survey
We are looking for individuals who have experience with homelessness or who are familiar with Winnipeg’s inner city to work on a research project focusing on homelessness. End Homelessness Winnipeg has partnered with the Social Planning Council of Winnipeg and community partners to lead this work. The study will focus on the physical and mental health of people who experience homelessness, their use of health care and social services, and their experiences in accessing these systems. We will be interviewing people in emergency shelters and the hidden homeless (people that “couch-surf” with friends, family, or strangers).
Duties and Responsibilities
Community Researchers will conduct face-to-face interviews between late June to August 2017 at various locations within Winnipeg. Community Researchers will report to the Research Coordinator.
Community Researchers are expected to
- Travel to various survey locations with a small team of interviewers
- Work with staff at survey locations to recruit interviewees
- Conduct one-on-one surveys on-site
- Be respectful of people’s realities, perspectives, and choices
- Maintain and protect confidentiality and the anonymity of interviewees
- Experience with homelessness, living or volunteering in Winnipeg’s inner city
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Respectful and non-judgemental communication skills
- Awareness of issues related to homelessness, poverty, colonization, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and other forms of systemic oppression would be an asset
- Recognize trigger events or statements and respond accordingly
Hours will be scheduled in advance, but are flexible and may include some evenings and weekends. Community Researchers will be reimbursed on a per-survey basis ($15 for a 45 minute to one hour survey) and $15 per hour for training.
Please apply with a letter of interest and resume by June 23, 2017 to Darren Lezubski via email at [email protected] or by mail to:
End Homelessness Winnipeg
Unit C – 216 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 0M4