End Homelessness Winnipeg receives its mandate from the 10-Year Plan to End Homelessness in Winnipeg, released in 2014. The Plan includes several distinctive elements:
- Adoption of a collective impact model that calls for all participants to share a common agenda, engage in mutually reinforcing activities and continuous communication with backbone support
- Emphasis on prevention from both a systems and individual perspective
- Focus on outcomes
- Call for ongoing engagement of groups and organizations in all sectors in a way that is unparalleled in Winnipeg
- Emphasis on Housing First, an approach that recognizes stable housing is the first and primary need of anyone who is homeless
- Creation of a backbone organization, End Homelessness Winnipeg. Our organization focuses on systems; it does not duplicate the work being done by other agencies.
- Commitment to increase the supply of housing and create permanent alternatives to emergency shelters and life on the street.